Search
  • Dr A A Mundewadi

Ayurvedic Herbal Treatment for Central Serous Retinopathy (CSR)

Central serous retinopathy, aka CSR, is a disease of the eyes in which there is loss of vision due to accumulation of fluid beneath the retina. There is localised retinal detachment in mostly male patients aged 20 to 50. The loss of vision is usually painless and sudden. This condition may be significantly related to stress and the use of steroids. About 80 to 90% of affected individuals recover spontaneously within 6 months; however, the remaining 10% may have persistent symptoms or recurrent episodes. A variant known as type II CSR demonstrates more widespread retinal pathology and is associated with a more serious prognosis.


In CSR, there is accumulation of choroidal fluid beneath the retina due to breaks in the retinal pigment epithelium. This condition can therefore be treated with Ayurvedic herbal medicines which reduce the accumulation of fluid and strengthen the retinal epithelium in order to prevent further leakage. Ayurvedic medicines are also given to strengthen all the components of the eye so as to be stress resistant so that there are no long-term recurrences of the condition. Treatment needs to be given for about three to four months in order to bring about a complete remission of the disease and significantly reduce chances of recurrence. Individuals with type II CSR may need to be treated more aggressively and for longer periods.


Ayurvedic herbal eye drops can also be used to supplement the oral treatment. Some patients may need additional treatment for stress. Some individuals report concurrent problems of gastritis or kidney disease, which may need additional treatment.


CSR, central serous retinopathy, Ayurvedic Herbal Treatment, Herbal medicines

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Stomatitis is a medical condition in which there is recurrent inflammation and ulceration of the mucosa in the mouth. Poor oral hygiene, burns due to hot foodstuffs, allergic reactions to food or med

Psoriatic arthritis is a medical condition characterized by a combination of to auto immune disorders: psoriasis and arthritis. Pain, swelling, and inflammation are the symptoms of arthritis while shi